At Patrick J. Martinez & Associates, we understand that there are two sides to every story. In legal cases of domestic violence, it may come down to a he-said/she-said situation. That is why it is essential to have an experienced attorney protecting your best interests.
Consequences of Domestic Violence Conviction
If you are convicted of domestic violence, you may face a host of long-term consequences, including:
- Losing the ability to own firearms
- Loss of employment
- Parental rights
- High fines
With a skilled domestic violence attorney by your side, you can minimize the negative consequences of a domestic violence charge and fight for your innocence. At Patrick J. Martinez & Associates, we believe in our clients’ innocence and provide the aggressive criminal defense necessary to protect your rights and freedom.
Misdemeanor Domestic Violence Charges
In New Mexico, most domestic violence charges are misdemeanors. Misdemeanor domestic violence crimes include:
- Assault against a household member
- Battery against a household member
- Aggravated battery against a household member
Household members are victims who were previously or are currently intimately involved or family members of the defendant. Step parents, children, and grandchildren are also household members.
Felony Domestic Violence
An individual can be charged with felony domestic violence if:
- Assault of a household member occurs with a deadly weapon
- Assault is committed with the intent to commit another felony, such as murder, robbery, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or rape
- The defendant is being charged with his/her third domestic violence misdemeanor occurring with the same complainant
If convicted, a felony domestic violence offender is required to serve prison time. Rehabilitation, parenting classes, anger management counseling, and community service may also be required.
Contact a Domestic Violence Attorney
If you are facing domestic violence charges, you need the help of an experienced New Mexico criminal defense lawyer. Patrick J. Martinez & Associates wants to hear your side of the story. Contact us today to speak with a skilled domestic violence attorney.